Montgomery is the capital city of Alabama and the county seat of Montgomery County. Named for the Irish soldier Richard Montgomery, it stands beside the Alabama River, on the coastal Plain of the Gulf of Mexico. From its pivotal role in the Civil Rights Movement to its vibrant arts scene, Montgomery offers visitors a multitude of experiences to explore. In the 2020 census, Montgomery’s population was 200,603. It is the second most populous city in Alabama, after Huntsville, and is the 119th most populous in the United States. In this blog, we are going to explore this city of history and culture and share 10 top things to do in Montgomery, Alabama.
Fun things to do in Montgomery, AL
Here are some of the Things to Do in Montgomery that you definitely shouldn’t miss:
1. Explore the Alabama State Capitol
As the first capital of the Confederacy, the Alabama State Capitol holds great historical significance. Take a guided tour to learn about its role in shaping the state’s history, and visit the stunning Rotunda and Senate Chamber.
2. Visit the Rosa Parks Museum
Immerse yourself in the civil rights movement by visiting the Rosa Parks Museum. Learn about Rosa Parks’ courageous act and the Montgomery Bus Boycott through interactive exhibits and multimedia presentations. It’s truly a captivating encounter that tops the list of things to do in Montgomery.
3. Discover the Dexter Parsonage Museum
The Dexter Parsonage Museum was once the home of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and his family. Explore the preserved house to gain insight into the life and legacy of this influential figure.
4. Take a tour of the Freedom Rides Museum
Delve into the history of the Freedom Rides, a pivotal moment in the civil rights movement. The museum offers a unique perspective on the bravery and determination of those who fought for equal rights. It’s truly a captivating encounter that tops the list of things to do in Montgomery.
5. Step back in time at the Old Alabama Town
This living history museum showcases restored 19th and early 20th-century homes and buildings. Stroll through the streets to get a sense of what life was like in Montgomery during different eras.
6. Explore the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts
Art enthusiasts will appreciate this museum’s diverse collection of American, European, and African art. Admire works by renowned artists and participate in engaging exhibitions and events.
7. Enjoy the Montgomery Zoo
Perfect for a family outing, the Montgomery Zoo is home to a wide array of animals from around the world. Take a leisurely stroll through the zoo’s beautifully landscaped grounds and learn about various species. It’s one of the top on the list of the things things to do in Montgomery.
8. Take a riverboat cruise on the Alabama River
Embark on a scenic riverboat cruise along the Alabama River. Enjoy the picturesque views of Montgomery’s skyline while learning about the city’s history from knowledgeable guides.
9. Visit the Hank Williams Museum
Music lovers shouldn’t miss the opportunity to explore the Hank Williams Museum. Learn about the life and career of this legendary country music artist through exhibits and memorabilia.
10. Discover the legacy of the Civil Rights Movement at the Civil Rights Memorial Center
Gain a deeper understanding of the Civil Rights Movement and honour the sacrifices made by activists at the Civil Rights Memorial Center. The centre features exhibits that highlight important events and individuals from this era.
What more can I do in Montgomery with GetYourGuide?
The notable features of things to do in Montgomery by GetYourGuide are as follows:
- Discover Cultural Gems: To gain insight into Montgomery’s rich cultural heritage, head to the Alabama Shakespeare Festival, one of the largest and most acclaimed Shakespeare festivals in the world. Catch a captivating performance or take a backstage tour to witness the magic behind the scenes. Another must-visit spot is the Montgomery Museum of Fine Arts, home to an impressive collection of American art, ranging from the 19th century to the present day.
- Explore Natural Beauty: Escape the hustle and bustle of the city by visiting the picturesque Montgomery Zoo. Walk amidst beautifully landscaped grounds and encounter over 500 animals from around the world. For a serene outdoor experience, head to the Riverwalk, a scenic trail along the Alabama River. Enjoy a leisurely stroll, go for a jog, or have a picnic while taking in stunning river views.
- Dive into Educational Experiences: Expand your knowledge at the W.A. Gayle Planetarium, where you can embark on a celestial journey through captivating shows and interactive exhibits. Learn about the wonders of the universe, from the solar system to distant galaxies. For a hands-on learning experience, visit the Montgomery Children’s Museum, offering engaging exhibits and activities for young minds to explore and discover.
- Uncover Architectural Gems: Take a walk through history in Montgomery’s historic districts, such as the Garden District and Old Alabama Town. Admire the beautiful antebellum and Victorian homes, showcasing the city’s architectural heritage. Don’t miss the opportunity to visit the First White House of the Confederacy, a meticulously restored mansion that served as the residence of President Jefferson Davis during the Civil War.
To conclude, Montgomery, Alabama, offers a captivating blend of history, culture, and natural beauty. By exploring its numerous attractions, from significant historical landmarks to vibrant cultural institutions, visitors can gain a deeper understanding of the city’s rich heritage. Whether you’re interested in delving into the Civil Rights Movement, immersing yourself in art and culture, or simply enjoying the outdoors, Montgomery has something for everyone. With our list of things to do in Montgomery, you are pretty much covered. For more information, visit the official website of Neon Police.